The Sore-Butt Monologues - The Trails
Matthew Henson State Park Trail
The Matthew Henson Trail is a recent addition to the Montgomery County collection of parks. The trail runs from the Winding Creek Park up to Alderton Road - 4.2 miles. I usually ride trail starting where it meets the Rock Creek trail at Winding Creek park and proceed up the trail to where ever my energy lasts.
Some of the highlights along the way:
- The bike trail starts at the Winding Creek Park and goes for about 1/4 mile to Viers Mill Road.
- There is a non-signaled crossing across Viers Mill to Turkey Branch Parkway where the trail continues along the road.
- The trail enters the woods and continues on until it goes underneath Connecticut Ave (RT 185).
- The trail continues on to Georgia Avenue (RT 97) where there is a signal - and heavy traffic - be careful.
- After the trail crosses Georgia Ave. it turns right and then climbs up around behind the park behind the large church, and continues to climb subtly for the next 1.5 miles to Layhill Road.
- At Layhill, the trail crosses at a signal and goes through the fields to Alderton Road.
All things considered, this is a nice trail - there are rolling hills, a nice stream, and a deceiving uphill climb, but a very nice ride.
If you want more information, e-mail the author at: